Junior Cash ISA - Summary Box & Product Details
Start saving for a child's future by opening a Junior Cash ISA and you can enjoy an attractive rate of tax-free interest.
At the current time, this account can only be opened by new customers who live within the following postcode areas: NP, CF, SA, LD, WR, GL, HR & BS. Existing Society customers may open this account.
You can apply to open this ISA online, by post, or at any of our branch and agency offices. Transfers-in from other providers are permitted.
Summary Box - Key Product Information
|Account Name||Junior Cash ISA|
|Interest rates (AERs)||• The interest rate is variable – please click here to view the current interest rate|
|Tax Status||• Interest will be exempt from UK income tax providing the Junior ISA terms have been fully met|
|Conditions for bonus payment||• There is no bonus with this account|
|Withdrawal arrangements||• No withdrawals permitted - all money paid in, along with all interest earned may not be withdrawn until the child reaches 18 years of age|
|Access||• You can manage your account in branch, by post or online (if registered with our ‘My Accounts’ service)|
Additional product information
- Only available to any child resident in the UK who wasn't eligible for a Child Trust Fund (CTF)
- Minimum deposit of just £10 is required to open an account
- Maximum annual subscription limit for the 2015/2016 tax year is £4,080
- Transfers in from other Junior ISA providers are permitted
- The child will have access to the money from their 18th birthday
- You can add to your savings at any time by cash, cheque, or standing order
How can I open a Junior Cash ISA?
You can apply online or simply complete an application form on the right hand side of the page and take or post it to your nearest branch or agency office. If you wish to open an account by post, you need to send us a personal cheque drawn on your personal account, made payable to the child's name.
When you apply to open an account with us, we'll ask you for proof of your name and address, and an electronic check of your identity will be undertaken. This is required by law to verify the true identity of all new and existing customers. For full details please refer to our leaflet Proving Your Identity available from any branch and agency office, or click here. Identity checks are an important part in the fight against terrorism and other criminal activities.
Customers can now enjoy the convenience of managing their account(s) online using our 'My Accounts' service. For more information and to register, please click here.
How can I pay money in?
- Our General Terms & Conditions for Savings Accounts contains important information which you should read before investing or withdrawing funds.
- Adding to the account is easy because you can save by cash, cheque or standing order.
- The minimum opening investment is just £10.
Cash or Cheque
- Funds can be added by calling in to any of our branch or agency offices with your passbook and deposit.
- You can save through a standing order from your bank account.
To arrange a standing order or other one-off electronic payment, you'll need to give your bank the following details;
Monmouthshire Building Society
Sort Code: 40-34-27 (HSBC, Newport)
Account Number: 10600717Reference: XXXXXXXXXX (no spaces or hyphens - this is the Monmouthshire Building Society account number you wish to credit).
Can I make withdrawals?
- No. Any funds paid into the account, along with all interest earned, may not be withdrawn until the child is 18.
- The child will only have access to the money from their 18th birthday (Special arrangements apply in the unlikely event of a child's death or terminal illness).
- As the account is set up for the benefit of the child, you as the Registered Contact will have no access to the money at any time.
- All money paid into the account is treated as a ‘gift’ and cannot be withdrawn until the child reaches 18 years of age.
- If you wish to save for a child, and believe you may require access to these additional savings prior to the child's 18th birthday, please ask a member of staff who will provide you with details of an alternative account which may better suit your needs.
What is the interest rate?
- The interest rate is variable. Interest on the balance is calculated on a daily basis and will be credited to the account annually following the close of business on 31 March each year.
- For details of the current rate, please click here.
Is tax payable on the interest?
- No. There is no tax to pay on any interest that has been added to your Junior Cash ISA account.
- However, there is no guarantee that this favourable tax treatment will be maintained in the future.
How can I cancel my application?
- You may cancel your application by giving written notice to the Society up to the 14th calendar day following the day the account was opened and we will, without notice or penalty, transfer to another account or refund your money plus interest.
- In this case, the account will be closed and the subscription will not count towards your ISA subscription limits.
- After the 14th calendar day from account opening, the account cannot be closed until the child turns 18.
Can I transfer my Monmouthshire Building Society Junior Cash ISA to another Junior ISA provider?
- When transferring a Junior ISA, please be aware that you can subscribe to ONE Junior Cash ISA and ONE Junior Stocks and Shares ISA only in each tax year, and you must not subscribe more than the annual subscriptions limit across both types of Junior ISA accounts.
- You can transfer your account to a different account provider at any time, free of charge, provided that your chosen new account provider agrees to the transfer. Subject to the above, on your written instruction and within any time limit specified by you (subject to a maximum period of 30 days), we will transfer the whole balance of your existing account to the new account provider. Please note that partial transfers are not permitted.
- In addition, where transfers from a different account provider are accepted by us, these will also be free of charge.
Can Child Trust Funds be transferred to Junior ISAs?
- No, Junior ISA accounts are currently only available to children who didn't qualify for a Child Trust Fund.
- Similarly, Junior ISA accounts cannot be transferred into a Child Trust Fund.
How can I keep track of how the JISA is doing?
- An annual statement will be sent to the child 'care of' the Registered Contact showing how much interest has been earned, and what the current balance is.
- In addition, the passbook will be updated each time you visit one of our branch offices.
What happens when my child turns 16?
- If the child is aged between 16 and 18, they can open an ‘adult’ Cash ISA, but they cannot open an 'adult' Stocks and Shares ISA.
- The child will be permitted to pay up to the maximum investment limit into a Cash ISA. This is in addition to any amounts paid into a Junior ISA, up to the whole JISA limit.
What happens when my child turns 18?
- When the child reaches 18, the Junior Cash ISA account will become an ‘adult’ Cash ISA and will be subject to the terms and conditions applicable to adult Cash ISAs at that time.
- We will send you further details beforehand, including any identification required.
- The child will be permitted to make withdrawals from their account.
Financial Services Compensation SchemeWe are part of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). Details of the scheme, and who is covered by it, are available here.
It is important that you read the 'General Terms and Conditions for Savings Accounts' and the 'Junior Cash ISA Terms and Conditions' before deciding to open an account.