About Us
Established in Newport in 1869 to help local people build homes, we now help people across Wales and England buy properties and save for their future.
< !--Created with SVG-edit - https://svg-edit.googlecode.com/ --> Find out more

Here to help

Making financial arrangements when someone has died can feel overwhelming, so we’re here to give you all the support that you need.

There may be unfamiliar information on this webpage, so if there’s anything you want to check or don’t understand, call us or visit one of our branches or agencies. Our specially trained colleagues will support you every step of the way

Where to find us

What to do when a loved one dies?

Losing a loved one can be a difficult and confusing time.

This section explains what you need to do to manage their finances, what we’ll need from you and what happens next.

  1. Get a medical certificate

    This will be issued by the hospital, GP or coroner.
    You’ll need this to register the death.
  2. Register the death at a registry office

    You’ll usually need to register the death at a registry office within five days in Wales and England and eight days in Scotland. Once you’ve done this, you’ll be given a death certificate.

    It’s probably worth asking for extra copies of the death certificate because lots of organisations, including us, will need to see an original copy.
  3. Let us know about the death

    Please let us know as soon as possible and we’ll do everything we can to support you through this difficult time.

    We’ll ask for:
  • The details of the person who has died, including their name, address, date of birth, date of death, if they left a will and their account numbers.
  • The details of the person notifying us, including their name, address, relationship to the person who has died and phone number.
  • The death certificate (if it’s available).
  • A grant of representation (if it’s available). This can be a grant of probate or letters of administration.
  • Any additional information you want us to know.

You may not have all this information, but please give us what you can.

How to tell us

You can tell us by:

  • Calling us on 01633 844 340
  • Visiting one of our branches or agencies. If you give us a call beforehand, we’ll make sure someone is available to talk to you about your situation
  • Writing to us at Monmouthshire House, John Frost Square, Newport, NP20 1PX
  • Emailing email address.

Anyone can notify us of the death, but we may  need to identify the personal representative (the person dealing with the estate) before we can provide any information about the account(s).

A personal representative can be an executor, administrator or next of kin.

What we will do

We’ll update our records as quickly as we can but because some letters are prepared weeks in advance, you may still receive some correspondence addressed to the person who has died. We’re really sorry if this happens.

For further information please view our Bereavement Guide.

View the pages below for more information

FSCS Protected